I strongly believe in the power of words – how they lift, inspire and motivate. And I believe in travel; for the very same reasons, plus how it enhances your life, mind and soul. So, I’ve compiled a list of my personal favorite travel quotes.
First, I am so excited to tell you that Spilling the Beans is 3!! That’s right – this little blog began 3 years ago as I published my very first post (after numerous revisions and prolonged staring at the publish button of course). Thank you all for being part of it!
Inspiration is what I’ve felt for the past 3 years and what keeps me going (Okay, inspiration and coffee). Passion is what makes me persevere and what makes the hard work worthwhile. The constant thirst for food and travel propels me to write these words, to share my pictures and to connect with stories. Words inspire, thus it seems apt to celebrate Spilling the Beans’ 3rd blogoversary with 60 travel quotes.
2. “We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. We travel to open our hearts and eyes and learn more about the world than our newspapers will accommodate. We travel to bring what little we can, in our ignorance and knowledge, to those parts of the globe whose riches are differently dispersed. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more.” – Pico Iyer
3. “Adventure lies not in the places we seek, but in the moments we create in the places we treasure.” – Rochelle Carr
4. “Sometimes the most scenic roads in life are the detours you didn’t mean to take.” – Angela N. Blount
5. “I wandered everywhere, through cities and countries wide. And everywhere I went, the world was on my side.” – Roman Payne
6. “To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life.” – James Thurber
7. “A journey, after all, neither begins in the instant we set out, nor ends when we have reached our door step once again. It starts much earlier and is really never over, because the film of memory continues running on inside of us long after we have come to a physical standstill. Indeed, there exists something like a contagion of travel, and the disease is essentially incurable.” – Ryszard Kapuściński
8. “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” – Martin Buber
9. “Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.” – Henry David Thoreau
11. “Many a trip continues long after movement in time and space have ceased.” – John Steinbeck
12. “Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” – Mark Jenkins
13. “Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.” – Seneca
14. “If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness and fears.” – Cesare Pavese
15. “Every dreamer knows that it is entirely possible to be homesick for a place you’ve never been to, perhaps more homesick than for familiar ground.” – Judith Thurman
17. “I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
18. “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.” – Bill Bryson
19. “Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quietest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey.” – Pat Conroy
20. “The more I traveled, the more I realized that fear makes strangers of people who should be friends.” – Shirley MacLaine
21. “What you’ve done becomes the judge of what you’re going to do – especially in other people’s minds. When you’re traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don’t have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.” – William Least Heat-Moon
22. “Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.” – Anita Desai
23. “Travel is rebellion in its purest form. We follow our heart. We free ourselves of labels. We lose control willingly. We trade a role for reality. We love the unfamiliar. We trust strangers. We own only what we can carry. We search for better questions, not answers. We truly graduate. We, sometimes, choose never to come back.” – Unknown
24. “Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
26. “Climb the mountain not to plant your flag, but to embrace the challenge, enjoy the air and behold the view. Climb it so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.” – David McCullough Jr.
27. “Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.” – Jack Kerouac
28. “Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life.” – Michael Palin
29. “Everything I was I carry with me, everything I will be lies waiting on the road ahead.” – Ma Jian
30. “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” – Aldous Huxley
31. “People don’t take trips – trips take people.” – John Steinbeck
32. “You lose sight of things… and when you travel, everything balances out.” – Daranna Gidel
34. “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust
35. “It is not down on any map; true places never are.” – Herman Melville
36. “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
37. “Travel has a way of stretching the mind. The stretch comes not from travel’s immediate rewards, the inevitable myriad new sights, smells and sounds, but with experiencing firsthand how others do differently what we believed to be the right and only way.” – Ralph Crawshaw
38. “To travel is to take a journey into yourself” – Danny Kaye.
39. “A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.” – Tim Cahill.
41. “For the born traveller, travelling is a besetting vice. Like other vices, it is imperious, demanding its victim’s time, money, energy and the sacrifice of comfort.” – Aldous Huxley
42. “It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.” – Ernest Hemingway
43. “We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharlal Nehru
44. “Travel brings power and love back into your life.” – Rumi
45. “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.”- Lao Tzu
46. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime.” – Mark Twain
47. “The journey itself is my home.” – Matsuo Bashō
48. “Two roads diverged in a wood, and I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” – Robert Frost
49. “Travel far enough, you meet yourself.” – David Mitchell
51. “There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
52. “I soon realized that no journey carries one far unless, as it extends into the world around us, it goes an equal distance into the world within.” – Lillian Smith
53. “For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
54. “The wish to travel seems to me characteristically human: the desire to move, to satisfy your curiosity or ease your fears, to change the circumstances of your life, to be a stranger, to make a friend, to experience an exotic landscape, to risk the unknown..” – Paul Theroux
55. “I haven’t been everywhere but it’s on my list.” – Susan Sontag
56. “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” – Saint Augustine
57. “Like all great travellers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen.” – Benjamin Disraeli
59. “Travel does not exist without home….If we never return to the place we started, we would just be wandering, lost. Home is a reflecting surface, a place to measure our growth and enrich us after being infused with the outside world.” – Josh Gates
60. “And if travel is like love, it is, in the end, mostly because it’s a heightened state of awareness, in which we are mindful, receptive, in dimmed by familiarity and ready to be transformed. That is why the best trips, like the best love affairs, never really end.” – Pico Iyer
Once again, THANK YOU dear readers, for your encouragement, and for each kind word and gesture. I feel genuine support from so many of you – it is truly appreciated. YOU inspire me! And knowing that my family is proud of me and what I do, will always mean the world to me.
I hope you enjoyed all the wonderful travel quotes. Which one(s) do you love or relate to? Did I miss any great ones? Do spill the beans 😀